While our pets can’t tell us when something is wrong, we can use scientific testing and veterinary experience to discover underlying diseases and disorders. As one Phoenix’s diagnostic leaders, Animal Care Hospital’s in-house laboratory features advanced analytic equipment used to examine and test tissue samples. This technology pinpoints the problem and allows the proper treatment to commence.
Blood work is a particularly useful tool that can tell us valuable information about your pet’s red blood cells, immune system, digestive tract, circulatory system and internal organ function. This simple, inexpensive test can reveal evidence of disease before symptoms appear. Catching disease early dramatically improves treatment efficacy and improves quality of life.
During veterinary emergencies, blood testing can mean the difference between life and death, directing our veterinarians towards the best treatment when time is of the essence.
The Animal Care Hospital laboratory features state-of-the-art CBC, electrolyte analyzers and blood chemistry equipment.
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Red blood cells – anemia, bone marrow activity
- White blood cells – inflammation, infection, blood borne diseases like leukemia
- Platelets – low blood platelets can cause bleeding disorders
- Imbalances resulting from dehydration, kidney disease, vomiting and diarrhea, and other metabolic and hormonal diseases
- Tests liver and kidney function
- Blood sugar – diabetes mellitus can cause high blood sugar. Sever infections, liver disease and malnutrition can cause low blood sugar
- Blood proteins – dehydration causes proteins to increase. Liver, kidney and gastrointestinal tract disease can cause them to decrease
- Analyzes calcium, potassium, sodium, cholesterol and other blood components